The Georgian College Athletic Department has partnered up with colleges and universities from across Canada to be a part of the national Bell Let's Talk student partnership for mental health.
Bell Let's Talk is a national campaign that encourages all Canadian to have a conversation about mental health and help end the stigma associated with mental illness.
Mental health issues impact many students and their peers with mental illness and/or substance use disorders occur most frequently with youth aged 15 to 24, more than any other age group.
The Georgian Grizzlies will host several events leading up to Bell Let's Talk Day which takes place on Wednesday, Jan. 30.
Georgian's men's and women's basketball teams will have a Bell Let's Talk game day on Saturday, Jan. 26 when they host the Algonquin Thunder at the Georgian Athletic Centre in Barrie. The women's game gets underway at 1 p.m. followed by the men's game at 3 p.m. Tickets are available for $5 at the door with proceeds from the game being donated to mental health initiatives.
Fans in attendance will receive a limited number of free thunder sticks to "make some noise" for mental health along with prize draws of Bell Let's Talk toques and Grizzlies prizes.
On Bell Let's Talk Day on Wednesday, Jan. 30 a special photo booth will be set up on the Barrie campus encouraging all students and staff to take their picture and share it on social media to help raise money and awareness for mental health. There will be special prize draws and giveaways for those who participate.
On Bell Let's Talk Day, Bell will donate five cents to Canadian mental health programs for each of these interactions on Bell Let's Talk Day, at no extra cost to participants:
- Talk: Every mobile and every long distance call made by Bell wireless and phone customers*
- Text: Every text message sent by Bell wireless customers*
- Twitter: Every tweet and retweet using #BellLetsTalk, featuring the special Bell Let's Talk emoji, and Bell Let's Talk Day video view at Twitter.com/Bell_LetsTalk
- Facebook: Every view of the Bell Let's Talk Day video at Facebook.com/BellLetsTalk and use of the Bell Let's Talk frame
- Instagram: Every Bell Let's Talk Day video view at Instagram.com/bell_letstalk
- Snapchat: Every use of the Bell Let's Talk filter and video view
*By a Bell, Bell MTS or Bell Aliant mobile or home phone customer. Regular service charges apply. This event excludes iMessages.
Since September 2010 when Bell Let's Talk began a total of $93,423,628.80 has been donated to mental health programs and is well on its way to surpassing the $100 million mark.